Thursday, June 19, 2008

England not English

If there was one aspect of the game that the English excelled at, it was losing gracefully. There was no moaning about biased umpires, not blaming the pitch, and not (much) complaining about injuries.

We were simply inferior people and we accepted that.

Occasionally, we could hope for a plucky, match-saving rear-guard by a brave tail-ender: grinding a draw out of an angry opposition. We took pride in our sportsmanship.

Not in our latest game against the Kiwis. In a shoddy and rather Australian display, England delayed the match’s progress at every opportunity to ensure the eventual abandonment of the rain affecting game.

Paul Collingwood has blamed the game.

“Cricket has nothing to do with sportsmanship or spirit. It’s about gingers leading men into battle. We should probably change the rules. Only red-haired captains allowed.”


In response, the New Zealand captain, Daniel Vettori, said,

“Does my bum look big in this?”


It is uncertain which country feels more shame towards their captain. I’m guessing South Africa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That my friend, is why my republican army, is full of ageing ginger all-rounders. They are the bomb!

No more man boobs please, fuck me, I nearly puked over my laptop!

The Atheist said...

What's the matter, Suave? It's all part of god's creation.

It's all beautiful. Your moobs can't bring me down today.