Monday, May 12, 2008

Kiwis do some stuff, some others respond

Sorry for the absence. Been doing some very busy, work-related things, I’m afraid. I’ll promise I’ll respond to all your emails soon…

I’ve been looking around, pondering what to post on. I wanted it to be something original. I even had a look at The Netherlands’ pages on cricinfo.

I decided to compromise with a New Zealand tour game.

The Kiwis recently played against England’s “B” team. Or “A” team. Or team of trained lions. I’m not sure what they are. But it’s essentially a group of blokes that can’t get into the Test team, but receive sufficient pity from the selectors as to warrant a near-test experience.

I’m not sure whether I approve of it. It’s a bit like buying your granny a “zorbing” experience. Sure, she might take it up, and she may even enjoy it, but you’re buggered if she wants to do it all the time. Although, it might heighten your prospects of a quick inheritance wind-fall.

During this game, some blokes scored centuries. Thus increasing the pressure on the incumbents that the selectors are never going to drop no matter how low their form drops.

It’s all rather sad really. The likes of Michael Carberry and Graeme Swann will never play at the highest level. You’re giving them false hopes.

Perhaps these players enjoy their little moments in the lime-light. Which is a bit sad, really. It’s like those people that consider one biscuit a sufficient snack.

ONE BISCUIT IS NOT GOING TO FILL NOWT! EAT THE PACKET, YOU GOON! EAT THEM ALL. HAVE A PROPER QUANTITY AND EAT THEM ALL.

But they don’t listen.

Nevertheless, I still follow these diddler games. I’m not sure why. It’s like the world’s fascination with Nicolas Sarkozy’s sex life. Sure, the object is short and unsatisfying, but I still go back for more. There’s a lot of ineffable magnetism going on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think Swanny has played at the highest level - one day side v successfully in Sri . Sadly I suspect that my passion for the one dayers is NOT yours and you are a Test test and nothing but Test man....

I'm not clear about the Lions either - it does seem more of a consolation prize than an opportunity to break into the main team

David Barry said...

It wasn't that long ago that touring sides to Australia might play an Australian XI in a four-day game. This match, for instance, had an Aus XI side containing Boon, Steve Waugh, Martyn, Healy, Warne, and Hughes. All of those were first-choice Test selections. It even got televised on Channel 9. Over the years the Australian XI seemed to lose its Test players, and now any such fixtures are against Australia A.

Not that such fixtures are likely - the touring sides now play a NSW XIV or the Queensland Academy of Sport or something.

Anonymous said...

Ceci, I prefer some of Swanny's other contributions at the top level, like being hit all over Hamilton by Brendon McCullum. Or his four overthrows in the 2nd Test.